Monday, February 18, 2008

Correspondence with Jonathan Borges


Correspondence with Jonathan Borges.

February 2008.

Jonathan Borges is Pedestrian Deposit, Emaciator and founder of the experimental imprint Monorail Trespassing.

Pedestrian Deposit?

The core of my being. Still exists, 20% comatose, but always uncertain. Always quitting, always indecisive.

Why uncertainty?

It's just my nature. Frantic thoughts, snap decisions, overcorrecting -- these are the blueprint of PD. I've probably quit five thousand times, often in front of people during some anxiety episode. Funny that it's all come back now that I've recently started working on new material. JINX!

Hope?

On occasion a veiled layer in select outlets. Not saying which, though; it's best for everyone to find out alone.

Faith?

In something, sometimes. Need not be negative at all times anymore.

Despair?

Often; but not right now, believe it or not. Also a less veiled layer in everything.

Positive aspects of despair?

Mostly the creative influence. It can also be good in times of isolation, self reflection, to move forward.

Black holes?

Bleach holes.

Monorail Trespassing?

Obsession, obsessive; compulsive, compulsion.

Environment?

Very important. It's difficult to function in foreign environments, but I can thrive off the nervous energy as well.

Parks:

There's a real good one near here. I don't go often enough.

Beauty?

It used to get me drunk before I started drinking. Still does every now and then. Layer three.

Layer four?

All three make layer four.

Politics?

Never.

Corporations?

Unavoidable at times, but I'd never work for one.

Spin magazine?

Nah. Maybe if you're fourteen and don't know any better.

Emaciator?

Subconscious; submerged; submerging. Moving forward and leaving behind some elements.

Seasons?

Winter and spring above all, followed by summer, but they are all okay.

Snow or sand?

Snow; especially east coast snow. But quicksand is a close second.

Society?

It doesn't work for me. I'm not involved, for the most part.

Secret Socities?

Sure. Underground gatherings. I like this.

Confessions?

I'm actually a part of society. Sort of.

Art?

By default, I suppose. But I'm reluctant to use the word when describing my efforts.

Why?

It doesn't fit. I feel as if I need a formal education to use this term. What is art? It is different for everyone.

Product?

200% effort, to the best of your ability, or it shouldn't be done; not everything is a good idea.

Consumerism?

Also unavoidable. I have no problems here, but don't expect to see me with a velvet suit or a cigar for several years.

Fashion?

Appropriated, stolen, manipulated, home-made. I will not pay more than $5 for anything, and I wear the same shoes until they disintegrate or make my feet curl -- whichever comes first.

Noise?

Needs to be reinvigorated. Few can challenge anymore, and most everyone is content to follow or imitate rather than lead, change, or attempt any progression.

Do you apply the term noise to your work?

Not anymore. If anything, it's sound collage; noise is only one aspect. Emaciator could be termed ambient, at least for now.

Future?

Several Emaciator tapes, several Monorail releases and at least one new PD disc before the end of the year.

Predictions?

Fewer Emaciator tapes, fewer or different Monorail releases, and no PD discs.


Pedestrian Deposit

Emaciator

Monorail Trespassing

No comments: