Saturday, October 18, 2008

Ribelle Scaltro



[photo//jasmyne rose]


Inspirations?

I'm starving because the bank took all my money. I made popcorn because it's all there is in the house, and I found a piece that looks exactly like the head of a rabbit. Ears and everything. I'll take a picture.
The only other food in the house is for the cats. I'd rather starve than make them starve. It's cruel, and I don't like guilt. I'm hard enough on myself as it is.

Dreams?


I normally dream about things I've been thinking about too often. My dreams have been strange lately. They normally involve me being stuck in a building and not being able to find anyone. People come by, but I don't want to speak to them. I think that this is a metaphor for me loathing my job. I fucking loathe it. I work so much for so little. I end up with nothing.

The significance of contemporary fantasy films in American culture?

Everything has to be epic for the masses to pay any attention. We'll have third degree burns from the sun and toxic waste up to our eyeballs and still wish we had better wardrobes that made us look cooler.

Visual expression?

I draw and I paint. I usually paint figures. I use a lot of bright colors and black India ink. Water soluble media is my favorite. The neighbor's kids are outside, screaming like they're being murdered. They do this every time they go outside. I want to make a painting that shows them how fucking irritated I am at them. Maybe it will just be a painting of me having a big cup of coffee or taking a nap, because I'm tired and cranky.

Music?


I like sad music most of the time. Unless it involves girls rocking out. That always cheers me up.

Books?

I've read several books recently. Normally, I'll bring one to work to pass the time, then have to explain to customers what I'm reading EVERY TIME THERE IS A TRANSACTION. They'll lean over the counter and look at the book, asking, "Oh, what are you reading?" and expect me to give them a summary. Sometimes, I hide the book when someone comes in, and then they think I'm reading something viciously scandalous.
(That's cute. The little girl outside thinks she's an opera singer now. That's a big improvement over the blood-curdling scream routine she's always pulling.)

Frustrations?


I get frustrated easily, like a child. I try not to let it show, which makes it worse.
All my problems are probably self inflicted when you break it down. I hate money. I hate never having it, I hate that people take it for granted when they have too much of it.
I get frustrated when people ask more from me than I'm willing to offer. I'm a private person. I hate being stared at. I don't like being forced into having small talk. Sometimes small talk is easier, though. I've gotten nicer lately. I used to just ignore people completely or shoot them horrible looks. Now, I just smile and say hello, then make a mental note never to go to the place where I just saw them ever again.

Hopes?


I hope things get easier. I hope I finish school soon so I have more time to do things that make me feel good. I hope that there's some glitch or banking error that makes J.P. Morgan Chase give back all the money they've taken from me.
I hope that there's a zombie uprising and that we have to flee to a remote location, and I can stop being attached to all my material possessions and fucking slash at people with a machete without any legal repercussions.

Technique or intuition?

It starts off with intuition, I think. Technique comes after you learn from experience.

Photography?

I think that photos are very special and mysterious. I absolutely love when they line up with my perception.

Language?

Language can be insufficient when it comes to communication. There's a definite repetition. I sound like a broken record at times. I like exaggeration.

To blog or not to blog?

I already blog, and so do you.

Silly questions?

That was a silly question. Let's see... "If you had to impersonate any animal and be accepted into their herd, which social ladder would you climb to sleep at night?"

Drama or melodrama

I don't like drama, but I suppose conflict makes things more interesting so that there can be a resolution. I think that most drama comes from misunderstanding, or an unwillingness to understand another person. Sometimes you just can't, because the other person involved is such an utter douche bag that you wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. Such is life.

What do you sing about?

I sing about my feelings, but I try to make it sound as vague as possible. All my work ends up feeling visual. Singing is how I uncork myself, because I bottle up my emotions and let them fester.

What do you paint about?

I usually paint naked women. It just happens. They often look like religious figures, because the ones that haunt are more compelling. I was mad at one of my friends the other day, and did a painting of her ripping out my heart. (It's all implied action, of course. She's about to.)

Why express anything?

Because it's the only thing that makes me feel better. I think that I am constantly expressing myself, whether or not I'm aware of it. The way I am, the way I walk down the street, the way I'm sitting even though I'm in the company of cats is a form of expression. If I fall down in a forest and no one's around to hear, do I still scream, "FUCK! OW" ? What is the sound of one girl laughing?

Gender?
I think that I would be taken more seriously if I had a dick. On the other hand, I would lose that mesmerizing quality and would have a harder time asking for favors. My day just runs so much more smoothly when I'm wearing a dress.

Music business?

I don't expect to ever make a profit from my music. "Music business" sounds like an oxymoron to me.

What do you write about?

I write a lot of "to do" lists that never get accomplished. The more I sit around and think about doing something, the less I'm actually doing it.
I like writing short stories about social dynamics.
My poetry has been described as "creepy" and "weird."

Briefcase or tazer?

A swift kick in the balls normally fixes any problems I'm having in life.


Favorite fruit?

Peaches and pears. Ripe and cold. I miss the summer. Cold weather makes me feel awkward.

The origins of ribelle scaltro?

I was learning Italian, and I wanted to pick a name that's the same as my initials (R.S.). "Ribelle Scaltro" means "shifty/crafty rebel." There was some confusion when I played my first show, and people started calling me Ribelle.


Musings on Glass Gown....

Glass Gown was originally intended to be my solo electronic recording project. I made some tracks with Lars' Roland Juno 6 synthesizer. I recorded them during the summer, after watching Liquid Sky three times.
I played the tracks for Shane, and told him about the name. He was really into the idea, and he and I started working on some beats. I was really excited that Shane wanted to make music with me. He's really talented, and everything he works on is brilliant. He's a musician, truly. Music is his life.

On a side note, I was worried about us breaking up, because then I'd have to form some sort of rival band like the Misfits in Jem and totally be his arch nemesis and crash all his shows. This would be very hard for me, seeing as I'd be hard up for band members as good as him. I'd end up with one girl drummer who never gets around to buying drums.
I'd probably just go to all his shows and pretend not to notice him while watching him fervently out of the corner of my eye like the old days.


Your book that you are publishing online?

It's done, I just need to order a proof copy to make sure everything looks alright. It's an illustrated collection of short stories called THESE PEOPLE ARE VULTURES. It should be available for purchase in a few months on Lulu. Once it's up, you should be able to find it by searching the title or my name. I will also post about it on my blog and my myspace profile.

How can the good people acquire any physical copies of your work?

I have dozens of paintings all over the place. At some point, I may make an online portfolio. Normally, I give my paintings and books away as gifts. Many of my recent paintings were done at John Finn's studio, and are in his possession.
I'd really like to commit more time to painting, and on a larger scale. Figure has always been my interest, and I'd love to paint some portraits of people with oozing colors and searing contrast.
I suppose I could be commissioned to do so if anyone is interested. It wouldn't have to be money, though. It could be a trade.

This decade is almost over. Not quite yet. But, almost. Any thoughts on what we have just gone through and where we are headed as a society?

At this point, it could go either way. In the post 9-11 era, the government will continue to use global terrorism as a fear tactic and an excuse to take away our liberties in the interest of "national security." Corruption and government officials go hand in hand, like peanut butter and jelly or puppies and kittens. Hopefully, the next administration will be one that is focused on positive change, here in our nation as well as internationally.
As a society, we have grown more apathetic, materialistic, and cold. There are always two sides, though. The more we see this as a whole, the more we focus on the warmth in our own lives and are sympathetic to those in need.

By the way, the population is growing way too fast. I'm hoping for the Rapture. It would really help with rush hour traffic and gas prices if all those vehicles are unmanned.
Plus, post-apocalyptic fashion is, like, so IN right now.


*This conversation took place several months ago. Rachael has since found a new place of employment.



Ribelle Scaltro

Rumore Fantasma

Mmhmm Ribelle

Glass Gown

1 comment:

ribelle said...

This was fun. Let's do another.